Saturday, September 12, 2009

At site

Today marks one week and two days at my site, though by the time I manage to get to an internet café—and by the time you read this post—it’s probably well past today’s date. Nonetheless, I’m writing today (on the remaining moments of my laptop’s miniscule battery life) because, for one I’m a little bored, and for two I hope to chronicle my initial reactions as I start getting settled.

So the first week has come and gone. Upon my arrival in the big, fancy, one-way-ticket Peace Corps jeep, a tribe of children showed up to watch me unload my things. One boy, who I met two months ago, when visiting my site, informed me that the next day was “market day”. There is a market in my town once every three days. So, after my first rather restless night, I woke up and headed down the dirt path running by my new (for me at least) house. I wasn’t sure exactly where the market was, but I followed the people walking by, assuming they were headed for the same place.

Upon arrival at the market, I was hugely overwhelmed. It was much, much larger than I was expecting, packed with people. And to make things worse, all eyes were on me—the obviously clueless sore thumb. I tried to keep a low profile (impossible), tried to navigate the pathways (senseless), and narrowed my priorities down to simply finding a few vegetables for my chili recipe and getting the heck out of there. Lucky for me, I ran into the boy from the day before, who showed me the way, and translated prices for me from Moore to French.

I of course realized the strangeness of what was going on at the time. Dropped in a small town in the middle of Western Africa, my only acquaintance this eager-to-know-me-for-reasons-I’m-unsure-of youth, I tried to take things in stride. I bought a few tomatoes, onions and hot peppers, and split. Thankfully, the volunteer I replaced has left me a gas stove and a few pots and pans, and I had bought a few canned goods when I was still in Ouagadougou (the capital). I cooked up what I considered a rather phenomenal meal and started feeling comfortable.

My house is pretty nice. There is a wall with a gate surrounding it, which leaves me with a nice big courtyard and a big old tree from which a hammock hangs (thanks to the previous volunteer), for those African-afternoon-heat naps. I took pictures. When I get this entry posted, I’ll try to post the pics as well (though as you can imagine, uploading times here are not optimal).

So, it’s been a week. A few days ago, I hopped on my bike early in the morning and visited another volunteer from my training group. The village this volunteer lives in is even smaller than mine. While there, I didn’t meet a soul who spoke French. We hung out, made french toast, and spoke lots and lots of much-needed English. It’s good to know we’re having some of the same adjustment issues.

Today was the first day since getting to my site that I woke up feeling legitimately homesick. I felt this feeling during training a little bit, but we were so busy that there was hardly time to think about it. Now, after waking up, brushing my teeth, and putting water on the stove for some instant coffee, I suddenly realize that I have to find something to do today. I’ve already finished two books in the week that I’ve been here, and at this rate, I’m going to run out of material pretty quick. All this time sitting around, of course, makes me face West and wonder what YOU are up to. (So send letters…)

Today, I also bought a car battery to power the fluorescent light I will use to write lesson plans and grade papers.

There are three minutes left on my laptop battery, and I hate being pressed for time when writing. I miss you all very much. I took up four pages in my journal just describing people I want to hang out with (you—dear reader—are one of them), things I want to do, and time I’d like to waste back home. See you all before you know it.

News from week 2: I got a dog to keep me company. Not much else going on. Pictures posted below...

Jon

My house:
















My dog (he figured out pretty quickly how to get on my good side):















2 comments:

  1. yoooo JON! I had to set up my own account just so i can comment on your blog! do you see my love for you now? haha

    I have been reading your blog here and there and it seems pretty interesting. Im sorry you are home sick, I know how that could be sometimes and it sucks! especially when you know you can't do anything about it... well don't worry, you'll get over that hump. well, we miss you a lot here in Illinois. I hope you come back to the US soon. Give me a heads up if you do. and If i come to africa, I will definitely come chill with you. haha see ya around. keep playing that geetar.

    paulie

    p.s. miss you at LMI (not that i go anymore but big things are a happenin')

    p.p.s. cool DOG! and how did you just get one!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your own bachelor pad in Africa > Living at home with parents in Chicago.

    You have a dog and a guitar, what else could you ask for?! Also, don't knock instant coffee, I drink it every single morning. Might explain why I poop so much....

    Anyway, USA misses you too. Mostly me cause I need someone to jam with. Keep up writing those songs, with lyrics like the ones you've been sending me, we'll be the best death metal band since the 80s!

    I'll have 2 weeks vacation starting 2010. How many 5 star hotels are there in your neighborhood? Do I have to book far in advance?

    ReplyDelete